Here’s a replicated recipe for one of Wendy’s Fresh Stuffed Pitas. This recipe makes use of the same dressing and salad based just like the Chicken Caesar Pit. However, the parmesan and chicken will be replaced with a Greek topping that you’ll find very simple to make. Although Wendy’s makes use of a customized pita that you won’t find in local stores, you can still make use the type of pita bread that people cuts open and fill. However, for this recipe, you do not have to fill the pockets of the pita bread. Rather, you will have to heat the pita bread and fill it just like filling a soft taco.
1/2 c water
1/2 c olive oil
1/3 c white vinegar
2 Tbsp egg substitute
1 Tbsp Romano cheese (grated)
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (grated)
1/8 Tsp dry, unflavored gelatin
1/2 Tsp red bell pepper (finely minced)
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 Tsp coarse ground black pepper
A dash of thyme
A dash of basil
A dash of oregano
A dash of parsley
4 pita breads
6 c chopped romaine lettuce
1 c crumbled feta cheese (4-oz pkg)
1/2 c seeded and diced tomato
1/4 c shredded red cabbage
1/4 c diced red onion
1/4 c shredded carrot
1/4 c thinly sliced and chopped cucumber
1. Prepare the dressing. First, dissolve gelatin in the water. Microwave the gelatin mixture on high temperature for about 2 minutes, or until the gelatin starts to boil rapidly. Add the vinegar to the mixture then starts whisking while you add the oil. Then, put the garlic powder, bell pepper, Worcestershire, salt, oregano, basil, black pepper, thyme and parsley. Allow the dressing to cool for approximately 15 minutes prior to putting the egg substitute and cheeses. Continue whisking until mixture becomes slightly thicker. Once you achieve the thickness you need, chill the dressing. Dressing will become thicker if you refrigerate the dressing overnight.
2. Prepare the Greek topping for the stuffed sandwiches by mixing red onion, crumbled feta cheese, cucumber and tomato in a small-size bowl.
3. Make the salad by mixing red cabbage, shredded carrot and romaine lettuce in a large-size bowl. Then, toss the salad.
4. Make the sandwiches. Warm the pita by microwaving the pita for about 20 seconds.
5. Fold the pita into two, just like a soft taco, then put 1 to 1 and ½ c of romaine salad into the pita bread.
6. Put ½ to 1/3 cup Greek topping to each pita sandwich.
7. Put 1 tablespoon of dressing on top of each pita sandwich then serve.